June 5, 2019: The projects of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)- Global Environment Facility (GEF) joined the government of Turkmenistan at an international conference to mark the World Environment Day.
The projects presented their achievements and impact and took part in the discussion on the ongoing climate change, environment, energy, urban development and other topics.
“UNDP is determined to expand and strengthen its partnership on climate change, sustainable water and land management and provide all possible support to the Government of Turkmenistan in promoting water diplomacy both within and outside the region of Central Asia,” stated Natia Natsvlishvili, UNDP Resident Representative a.i.
At the moment, UNDP implements 6 projects funded by GEF, Special Climate Change Fund. Those are:
• Sustainable Cities in Turkmenistan: Integrated Green Urban Development in Ashgabat and Awaza
• Supporting climate resilient livelihoods in agricultural communities in drought-prone areas of Turkmenistan
• Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy for Sustainable Water Management in Turkmenistan
• Strengthening national capacity for Seismic Risk Assessment, Prevention and Response to Potential Earthquakes
• Climate Change Education and Awareness Project "Climate Box"
• Preparing 6th national report on biodiversity
In the last 5 years, UNDP has invested over USD 20 million into Environment and Energy projects expanding adaptation to climate change actions, introducing new technologies for rational use of water and energy, piloting innovations in agriculture, construction and law making.
The World Environment Day is annually celebrated in Turkmenistan with support of the relevant ministries and agencies.