6 Reduce child mortality
Where we are?
As a result of implementation of the State “Health” Programme, the infant mortality rate in Turkmenistan decreased 2.2 times in 2000 compared with 1991. By 2010, this figure dropped to 23.2 per thousand, i.e. Target 5 has been successfully achieved in Turkmenistan. The MICS-3 has confirmed the downward trend in child mortality (including infant).
Turkmenistan is now facing the challenge of reaching the level of developed countries (EU, etc.) in terms of reducing the infant mortality rate.
This MDG update was provided by Turkmenistan’s National Statistical Office in April 2011
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG4
- Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
- Under-five mortality rate
- Infant mortality rate
- Proportion of 1 year-old children immunised against measles