6 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
Where we are
Due to the fact that Target 1 “Halve, between 1990 and 2015, the proportion of people whose income is less than one dollar a day” was achieved by Turkmenistan in 2000, the country had set the new national target “To reduce, by a factor of three during 2000 - 2015, the proportion of people with income less than 50 percent monthly average income.”
A sample survey of household living standards conducted by national statistical offices jointly with the World Bank (WB) in 1998 and with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in 2003 made it possible to conduct monitoring of key indicators.
As a result of effective restructuring of the economy in terms of GDP per capita (according to the WB classification of economic systems) Turkmenistan entered the group of middle-income counties in 2001. The international agencies recommend using a daily income threshold of $ 2.15 dollars per person (absolute poverty) to measure the level of poverty in the middle-income countries. This indicator has been used for comparative analysis of the welfare of the population of Turkmenistan.
The proportion of people with income less than $ 2.15 per day reduced from 7% in 1998 to 0,6% in 2003. People with income less than 50% of the median consumption (relative poverty) accounted for about 16% of the total population in 2003.
In the long term Turkmenistan should strengthen the system and mechanism for rendering targeted social assistance to vulnerable groups.
This MDG update was provided by Turkmenistan’s National Statistical Office in April 2011
UNDP's work in Turkmenistan
National stakeholders review international experience in promoting rights of persons with disabilities
Experts and specialists of the national institutions and organizations responsible for implementation of Turkmenistan’s social policy and programmes, including members of the Blind and Deaf Societymore
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG1
- Reduce by half the proportion of people living on less than a dollar a day
- Proportion of population below $1 (PPP) per day
- Poverty gap ratio
- Share of poorest quintile in national consumption
- Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all, including women and young people
- Growth rate of GDP per person employed
- Employment-to-population ratio
- Proportion of employed people living below $1 (PPP) per day
- Proportion of own-account and contributing family workers in total employment
- Reduce by half the proportion of people who suffer from hunger
- Prevalence of underweight children under-five years of age
- Proportion of population below minimum level of dietary energy consumption